Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Death of a modded xbox

My Xbox just died. It was special to me because I'd modded it myself and immediately escaped into the world of homebrew console software. I played a perfectly emulated Super Mario Bros. on it just for the coolness of playing my favourite NES game on an Xbox. Another program, the Xbox Media Center, is based on the same source as MPlayer for Linux and MPlayerOSX for MacOS, and better than either because it supports the Xbox remote. Other great (but illegitimate) programs include xbomberbox2, the most beautiful clone of Bomberman ever released, and DVDX, which transforms the Xbox into a region-free DVD player.

The Dreamcast hacking scene is well-known, well-documented, and active. The Xbox hacking scene is that, times ten, because an Xbox starts out more powerful than a Dreamcast.

Well, my hacked xbox died today. When I turn it on, the reset button flashes red and green (what the Xbox scene calls "fragging") and I see nothing on the screen. I'd so stripped one of the screws the first time I opened the cover that I can't get it off to repair what's inside.

I'm not going to tell you what to think about all this. That you will decide for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment